Get your Mexican fix with this fish taco recipe by pro surfer Sally Fitzgibbons.
What you’ll need (serves 4)
- 8 flour tortillas
- 600g white fish fillets
- Canola oil spray
- Flour (for dusting)
- Butter (for frying)
- 1⁄2 iceberg lettuce, finely chopped
- 2 ripe avocados 1⁄2 red onion, finely diced 1⁄2 red chilli, deseeded, pith removed, finely sliced 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Juice of 1⁄2 lime Juice of 1⁄2 lemon.
- 4 fresh tomatoes, diced 1⁄2 cup coriander leaves, finely chopped 1 red chilli, deseeded and pith
- removed, nely sliced
- 1 ripe mango, diced 1⁄2 red chilli, deseeded and pith removed, finely sliced Juice of 1 lime 1⁄2 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
1. To shape the tortilla bowls, preheat your oven to 180°C. Wrap four of the tortillas in foil and place on oven tray for 10 minutes just to warm them up.
2. Remove tortillas from foil and spray lightly with oil. Place them between the holes of an upside-down muffin tray, lightly pressing them down in the centre to form the base of the bowl. Repeat with three remaining tortillas. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven, allow to cool, and repeat with the other four tortillas.
3. To fry the fish, coat both sides of the fillets with our. Heat 2 tbsp of butter in a pan and cook 2 fillets at a time on medium-high heat, 2 minutes per side. The fillet will fall apart when cooked.
4. Serve fish in the tortilla cups with chopped lettuce and salsas.
*If you prefer to a hit of chilli, add the chilli as you go to suit your tastes.
Catch Sally at the Perth Fitness & Health Expo, August 20-21 at the Perth Convention & Exhibition Centre and the Brisbane Fitness & Health Expo, October 22-23 at the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre. For more information visit the official website.