If you’re sick of egg white omelettes for brekkie and are looking for a more enticing way of getting adequate protein levels into your diet, this Chunky Monkey Granola is the way to go.
Created by our beautiful 2017 Top 10 Cover Model finalist, Amy Lee, this delicious high-protein, low-sugar granola is inspired by Ben & Jerry’s choc-peanut butter-banana ice-cream flavour (yum), but made from wholesome and nourishing ingredients. It’s also vegan and oil free. Enjoy!
Chunky Monkey Protein Granola (chocolate – peanut butter – banana)
14 servings (½ cup each)
- 2 cups rolled oats (240g)
- 1 cup shredded coconut (50g)
- 1 cup walnuts
- (or nuts/seeds of choice) (125g)
- ½ cup vegan vanilla protein powder (or chocolate) (45g)*
- ½ cup powdered sweetener of choice (80g)*
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt (to taste)
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 200g)
- ⅛ cup maple syrup or honey (60g)**
- 3 tbsp almond butter or peanut butter, melted (or more banana for lower fat) (60g)
- ½ cup chocolate chips (80g), optional
- ½ cup banana chips or dried banana, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 1700C. Line a baking tray with greased baking paper. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients together (except the chocolate chips), then add all the wet ingredients, and stir until the mixture is combined and moist.
3. Pour granola onto prepared baking pan and spread out evenly.
4. Bake granola for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and stir. Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven – it will harden as it cools. When cooled, stir in choc chips and banana chips if using. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
TIP: Serve with non-fat Greek yoghurt or milk for an extra protein hit.
**Adding syrup will make the granola crunch better, but you can substitute for more sweetener if you prefer.
NUTRITION (per ½ cup )
Calories: 228 // Protein: 7g
Fat: 13g // Carbs: 19g