6 tips for a healthy gut
Nutritionist, exercise scientist, trainer and online coach Brooke Turner shares her tips for a healthy gut.
- Increase your prebiotic intake, which good gut bacteria uses as fuel to nourish its growth and activity.
- Eat fermented foods such as yoghurt with live cultures, kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha, miso and tamari.
- Up your fibre intake, which is essential for having a diverse array of bacteria.
- Avoid the use of antibiotics where possible. Antibiotics wreak havoc on your bacteria levels and can wipe out the good bacteria.
- Avoid inflammatory foods which are highly processed and high in sugar. Opt for anti-inflammatories such as turmeric, aloe vera and slippery elm.
- Manage your stress levels. A link between gut health and mental health has been proven in many studies so minimising stress can directly impact your gut